Friday, June 18, 2010

The Abuse & Cover-up Crisis

What about the abuse crisis in the Catholic Church?

What about it? You realise there are sexual predators in every level of every organised religion.

That makes it ... something we just accept?

Of course you don't accept it. Ever. You fight it with the truth, and with courage. I am glad that the SNAP (Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests and Religious) organisation is creating support groups for other religious denominations, including my own.

Your own?

Judaism. There are evil men leading Jewish congregations too. But I do think that because of the size of the Catholic Church the size of the problem is greater there than in any other religion or church. And the size and complexity of the organisation has meant that the predators had an incomparable network of protection and re-assignment.

So, if you had one thing to say to the Catholic faithful?

Stop being faithful!

I'm sorry?!

How can anyone continue to be faithful to a religion that has become so off-center, so focused on power, property, prestige...

Penises!

Yes, those too. But I don't want to get into the gender issues here. And it is not appropriate to bring in your usual sarcasm.

Sorry.

It's OK. I know your humor here is self-preservation. You know only too well ... I am the one who should be expressing my sorrow -- to you. My mother weeps daily for you and for all the children who have been hurt by men and women claiming to be my "holy" followers. So, again, I say to them, Stop being faithful. It is time to stop enabling this organisation to abuse children.

Like the Sadducees in ancient Israel, there is a tendency for religious authorities to think that any compromise with evil is justified if it protects the "Temple," the religious establishment and traditions. What I say to today's Catholics is, It's time to turn over the tables of those who traffic in children. Stop giving money to feed this corrupt "temple" and instead support causes of justice by giving your time and commitment as well as money. Money is easy to give if you have it. But time, effort and personal commitment to the pursuit of justice is much more costly, and much more valuable.

No comments: