Sunday, June 6, 2010

Meet My Muse

Well, here goes. This is a Blog. I know, it’s an unpleasant sounding word. Let’s just call it a conversation.
And you are?
The author of this Blog.
And I am?
You are my muse.
Well, I’ve been called worse. What is this conversation going to be about?
Important things: Religion, faith, God, meaning.
That’s important stuff. What if I get it wrong?
You can’t. It’s not really you, remember. It’s all “in my mind” to quote Eddie Izzard, appropriately.
Why “appropriately”?
I’m British.
I see.
Do you? You sound rather hesitant.
OK. I'm not sure I do see, and I do have a reputation to protect. And some people might come across this Blog and think you are “channeling” me, or some such newageism.
Would you feel better if you got to create some guidelines up front.
Yes, actually, I would. I think my mother would appreciate it too.
Your mother?--- Never mind! I’ll shelve that one for later.

My first suggestion is to avoid the humor. If you want others to take you seriously in this conversation you need to take it seriously, first.
That’s a fair point.
And you need to go back to the sources.
The sources?
Yes. You have a degree in theology and you taught for 27 years. You need to put that experience to work here. Don’t ever be embarrassed by your knowledge.
Embarrassed? I…
I think your humor covers up an innate insecurity about your expertise.
Ok. Now you are therapising me. I get enough of that from my therapist.
How’s that working out for you?
Now who’s being “humorous?”

Second. The prophets always had important things to say at important times in Jewish history. And I believe there is a universality in their themes that allows them to speak again to us today.

Third. A number of people wrote about me. Some of them were published. The ones that were published got a lot of things right. But, like many religious leaders through time, they often used me as a mouthpiece for their own agendas. Paul was great, but we didn’t ever meet and get to discuss things. I suppose you could say he was having an internal conversation with me, too. So that is setting the bar pretty high for you!
So when using the written sources, make sure you utilize your “critical thinking skills, your degrees and your intuition, and check with me if you’re not sure.

You do know that you are me, right?
Whatever you say.

No comments: